If an emergency occurred tomorrow, such as severe weather or a natural disaster, would you be ready? Paul Davis Restoration of Washtenaw County supports National Preparedness Month in September. Sponsored by FEMA within the Department of Homeland Security, the readiness program is designed to educate and empower Americans to be safe during all types of emergencies including natural disasters.
Paul Davis recommends the following safety tips:
- Take Action: Know the specific hazards and risks in your area
- Create a Family Emergency Plan: Know how to communicate with each other during an emergency
- Build an Emergency Ready Kit: Keep one at home and in the car, and include at least three days of water, food and first aid supplies to help you survive if you lose power or get stranded in your car
- Get Involved: Find out how you can promote preparedness in your community through the American Red Cross and Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
The following items are important to include in a basic emergency kit:
- Water: One gallon per person per day, for at least three days
- Food: Include packaged, non-perishable food
- Clothing: Change of clothing and a sleeping bag for each person
- Radio: Battery-powered or hand crank radio, plus a NOAA Weather Radio
- First aid kit: Include sterile gloves, adhesive bandages, antibiotic ointment, gauze pads, iodine/alcohol pads, medical tape, pain reliever, emergency Mylar blanket, thermometer, prescription medications and supplies
- Portable waterproof containers: Keep IDs, insurance policies, bank account records, site maps, employee contacts, computer backup files, emergency and law enforcement information, and priority documents. Store a second set of records off-site
- Cell phone and charger
- Batteries for the flashlight, radio and any other electronics
Whether your home or business suffers a loss – from fire or water damage to weather-related events or other natural disasters – our expert technicians are available 24/7/365 to help. Learn more about all of our services by visiting our website.